The Magnolia Farm project involved the total reconstruction of an historic Northern California farmhouse and an addition at the rear of the property.
The original two story structure was built in the 1850’s and is the oldest home on Sonoma, CA’s East Side. At one time it was owned by General Mariano Vallejo. Over time it fell victim to several unfortunate additions, suffered from deferred maintenance and finally was abandoned all together. The original front house is a registered historic landmark and its exterior had to be preserved. The rear additions were literally crumbling so a new addition was constructed.
The original structure was lifted to facilitate construction of a foundation system and to up-grade utilities. The porches and balconies were carefully measured and photographed prior to being completely removed and reconstructed. All siding and interior finishes were removed board by board. The floor plan was modified only slightly, however the kitchen and main living areas were relocated to the addition.
The new structure’s form reflects a barn it faces on the property; but its extensive glazing and translucent roof contrast the enclosed, older buildings. Illuminated at night, the relationship of new and old is revealed as discrete patches of light transition to radiant masses.
Contractor: Andrews and Thornley, Napa, CA
Window system: Bloomberg
Photographs (new) Sharon Risedorph, (old) Brian Farnsworth, Charles Smith